Immigration Advice

Members of public are strongly advised to obtain Immigration Advice and any other Legal Advice from a qualified legal professional only.

Who can provide Immigration Advice to the public?

There are only two types of legal advisers who could lawfully provide Immigration Advice to the members of public. They are

1) Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)

They are known as an Immigration Adviser who is not necessarily a qualified lawyer but they are required to complete Immigration Training before they could become an Immigration Adviser. Immigration Advisers are regulated by the OISC. The Immigration Advisers has a level of service from 1 to 3. The lowest level will have restrictions as to the type of cases they could accept and the highest level will have much more flexibility in the type of cases that they could represent and provide advocacy services to the IAC.

2) Solicitors who are registered with the Law Society

They are known as an Immigration Solicitor who will have a professional legal qualification, completed the legal training contract of two years and be admitted to the Solicitors Roll for England and Wales. Immigration Solicitors can accept all types of immigration cases and represent immigration clients for advocacy at the Asylum and Immigration Chambers. Only Immigration Solicitors can accept cases to High Court and Court of Appeal. Immigration Solicitors have jurisdiction to accept Judicial Review cases on behalf of clients. Immigration Solicitors are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Please visit our About Us page which has the details of our Immigration Solicitors.

Please note that it is a criminal offence for a person to provide immigration advice or services unless their organisation is registered with the (OISC) or they are:

  • a regulated Immigration Solicitor, barrister or legal executive (or European equivalent)
  • exempted by Ministerial Order

Under Sections 84 and 91 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, it is an offence to provide immigration services (including representation at a tribunal) if a person is not a ‘qualified person’.

Members of public should be vigilant and must make their due diligence checks before appointing anyone to represent themselves in their immigration case and make payment for their professional service.