Tier 2 (General)

Tier 2 (General) / Skilled Person with a job offer

Tier 2 Skilled Person with job offer of the Points Based System replaces the old work permit category. The Non EEA nationals with skills at NVQ level 3 (A level equivalent) and above, will be able to come if they have a job offer in a shortage area and where an employer cannot find the skills they require within the UK or EU. This will ensure that UK employers have access to the skills and experience they need. Tier 2 workers would include nurses, teachers, administrators, etc.

Who can apply for a Tier 2 skilled person with a job offer visa?

In Country Application
If you are in the UK then you must apply before your current leave expires provided that you meet all the necessary immigration requirements.
Out of Country Application
If you are applying for permission to enter the United Kingdom (known as ‘entry clearance’) under the Tier 2 skilled person with a job offer visa.
What requirements must the Non EEA national satisfy in order to be eligible for a Tier 2 Skilled person with a job offer visa?
The person must score 70 points in order to qualify in this category and 50 points must be from attributes being Sponsorship or qualifications or future expected earnings.
NB: – You must have a Sponsor who will be your employer;
    Your Sponsor must have a Sponsor Licence; and
    You Sponsor must issue you with a Certificate of Sponsor.

Sponsor for Tier 2

 Please refer to our page on Employer for further details on licensed sponsor and certificate of sponsorship.
Can my dependants join me?
Your dependants are any of your children under the age of 18 years old, or your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried or same sex partner may join or remain with you in the UK if they successfully obtain Entry Clearance or Leave to Enter or Remain. Your dependants can be over 18 years old if they are in the United Kingdom now as dependants. Your dependants may apply a separate application for this purpose.


Your appeal rights would depend upon whether you made an in country or out of country application for a Tier 2 skilled worker with job offer visa.
In Country Application
If you make an application for a Tier 2 skilled worker with job offer visa in the UK, your right to an appeal and the process you need to follow will depend on the type of application you have made and if a Statutory Right of Appeal is available then you would be allowed to appeal on the refusal.
Out of Country Application
If you make an application for a Tier 2 skilled worker with job offer visa from outside the United Kingdom, you have a right to an administrative review. You must request a review of the refusal within 28 calendar days of the date the refusal notice was issued. You can only ask for one administrative review for each application that has been refused and you would not be allowed to send any additional documents and proof with your request for a review.
Switching into Tier 2 skilled worker with job offer visa
Switching into Tier 2 general is allowed. Please contact us for further details.


If you have been in the UK for a continuous time of five years then you may qualify for Indefinite to Leave to Remain application.  Your dependants also would qualify if they could show a continuous stay in the United Kingdom with you for a period of two years.

British Citizenship

Once you have obtained the permanent residency status then you are entitled to apply for a British Citizenship. In fact the UK Government strongly encourages those who have permanent status to make a commitment to the UK by accepting the full rights and responsibilities of citizenship.